Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The great chore overhaul.

I read a few books on teaching your kids responsibility over the past couple of months. Aside from giving me an enormous complex that not all my ducks were in a row, it motivated me to finally get my house in order, in my own way. Now, this is neither to say that our house is in a perpetual state of disaster (even though it is), nor that my kids do not maintain some level of accountability (they don't) - but there's always room for improvement. Nagging is just way too easy for some of us moms. Like me. So without further ado, I introduce the great chore overhaul.



At a very basic level, the kids get to be accountable for doing things that they've been doing forever - they get to maintain their regular privileges if they complete their tasks on a daily basis. They get extra privileges for completing them on time and without any reminders. I also have a bonus chore option where I post a chore of my choice on their chart and, if completed within the designated period of time, they get an extra privilege of their choice.
So here's what I like about this system, in theory, because I don't exactly know how it will all go over in reality.
1. It places responsibility on them, not me. Goodbye nagging mom! (One can only hope.)

2. I don't have to give extra rewards unless kids go the extra mile. I used to motivate them when they were slow to get things done by promising rewards. This was counterproductive, because they learned that the rewards only come when they demonstrate reluctance at first, then step it up a notch. According to this system: regular privileges for completing tasks, extra privileges for doing it without reminders, privileges denied when not completed. Pretty simple.

3. Different kids are motivated by different things. Each child will get to choose her extra reward based on her preferences (playdates for one, candy for another, money for another).

4. I can keep my "ticket system" without compromising the whole extravaganza. They will still be given as extra rewards for helping others out, being the first to respond to a mother's call for assistance, etc.

We'll see how this goes - but I figure, if I can get Anna to get her homework signed without being reminded, and Lily to brush and floss her teeth (she just got two fillings - argh), I will be a happy camper. Here's to hoping!

No comments: