Wednesday, May 4, 2011

One room at a time.

This summer marks our 6th anniversary of living in our current home. Six years that have been laced with pregnancies, postpartum troubles, heavy-duty church callings, multiple landscaping projects, lotsa Joy School, and, let's face it, four energetic girls who keep me and my household in a constant state of disarray. I've gotten used to it. Another thing I've grown accustomed to: bare walls and crummy furnishings. I mentioned in a recent post how disenchanted I am with my abode's utter lack of class and, well, homeyness. I think Tim picked up on the hint, because for my birthday he bought me two lovely bookcases to dress up our otherwise drab living room. Here's the result.



Please be aware that I have this unwritten rule that each painting, photograph, or knick-knack that adorns the halls of my home must embody some measure of meaning or represent a memory of mine. In fact, when I travel, I prefer my souvenirs to be something I can display - a painting, a vase, a magnet (yeah, that's classy).

Anyway, because almost every single trip Tim and I have taken since becoming parents has involved visiting family, we've failed to acquire much that's memorable in the way of home decor. So, during a quick visit to Ross a couple of weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought a few cheap things to fill some shelves (and add a bit of color). There are still a few bare spots, but for now I will move onto the master bedroom, for which drapes are desperately in order. I'm making them myself - don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

They look beautiful Susie!