Tim and I had a discussion after church today about the relevance of occasions. He is of the mindset that one should always pay tribute to (in this case) mothers, that a one-day-a-year celebration underscores the importance of what they do on a day-to-day basis. I agree. But only partly.
To me, occasions are opportunities to recommit ourselves to honoring someone or something. They are, much like the sacrament reminds us to "always remember" Christ, a memorable, sometimes tangible moment of commemoration that charges us to reflect upon the important things. Like mothers. What a blessing it is to participate in the process of bearing and rearing children. I am grateful for my own mother, whose example I strive to emulate, and for all the mothers who know who they are and understand the eternal nature of their job. I honor you and am blessed to rub shoulders with you. Happy Mother's Day!
P.S. I'm not sure of the history behind the selection of the second Sunday in May, but one thing that just warms my heart about it is that I can always find something in bloom. A fresh bouquet every year.
2 comments:
In our Sacrament meeting yesterday, one of the speakers briefly mentioned the history of Mother's Day. It was signed into law in 1914, in the midst of difficult times such as WW1 and difficult economic struggles. He (the speaker) found it refreshing that despite all the issues facing the US Congress, someone initiated the proceedings and put together the bill to put Mother's Day on the calendar. Just thought you might be interested:) And I hope you had a happy day!
Valerie alias Susie...While you were here last time I think you must have used my computer to check blogs. This is the second time I've commented on someone's blog and it has come up with your name and not mine! Just thought you'd like to know who the above Susie really is. Just wish I could write like you!
Post a Comment