I just keep forgetting to take my camera pretty much everywhere. Once I can figure out how to get a few low-quality pictures from my phone to here, I may have something to work with. Even with the camera phone, however, there are so many things I will fail to remember if I don't document them now.
A week's worth of cooking classes for Anna with several other friends. Last year I taught these myself - this year I had two other moms help teach. It was SO fun! The girls love it and I find a lot of satisfaction teaching. Plus, with other moms helping out this time - I learned a few things myself. Who knew?
Afternoon sewing sessions with Anna and Lily. We're starting with hand-sewing but so far, we've made a pin cushion and sewed a pocket on our library bags to keep those darned library cards from getting lost. Next up: pillows.
Homeschool: Rachel is devouring her set of BOB books and I'm discovering that there's a budding perfectionist in her, too. She gets really down on herself when she doesn't get everything right the first time. Oh brother. She's four and a half and reading - jeesh!
Lily is picking up on learning how to tell time and count money. On her own, she whips through her math workbook like it's a page-turning novel.
Anna has been practicing measurements - it's come in handy that she's around to help in the kitchen - so many opportunities for learning about fractions and converting quantities. Just a few minutes ago, she figured out how many packets of Crystal Light it will take to fill our five-gallon jug for tonight's neighborhood Fourth of July gathering.
We spend lunch in the park with friends once a week, our chore system is in place and functioning as expected (hit and miss, that is), and we've spent all five 80+ degree days at the neighborhood pool. Man, I love that place. I set a goal to ride bikes to places that are within three miles and Lily's snail pace ensures that we burn about zero calories the entire time. Anna's progressing much better in piano after her early-summer strike. We're almost through book two of four before I turn her over to the experts. I think I can, I think I can...
Fighting did not come to a complete standstill after implementing the Nice-O-Meter (I know, real shocker), but the focus on resolving problems kindly is an ever-present theme and I'm satisfied that they are learning in the process.
We've learned about planes, weather, and the Oregon Trail. This past Friday we took a bike ride over to the Oregon Trail Reserve in our neighborhood, saw some actual wagon ruts for like the millionth time but, after studying the Oregon Trail, the kids were able to attach some meaning to it on this particular occasion. We also walked down the Kelton Ramp, which the pioneers built to traverse the steep basalt cliffs that separated them from the Boise River. Lily made sure to tell me that she was really glad she is not a pioneer. That's the spirit, my dear! Oh well, I guess it shows the slightest sign of appreciation for the comforts of life we take for granted.
We took a trip to Utah to visit family earlier in June while Tim went on his first scout backpacking overnighter. Did I mention his new church assignment is working with the 12-13 year old scouts? Well, it is. Busy, busy, busy.
I had planned on keeping our summer completely open, but since we spent January to July with absolutely NO organized activities (soccer, swimming, dance, etc.) I splurged and signed both Anna and Lily up for tap classes the last six weeks of the summer. We head out to Oregon next week - a stop in Portland and then an entire week on the coast. I'm excited - except when I remember that vacations with kids are not really vacations. Lowering expectations seems to bring better results.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment