I have a child, let's call her Phoebe, who does not like to exert herself. Sure, there are a few exceptions to her aversion, and I can sometimes convince her to do something physically uncomfortable if it is somehow fun or if I make it seem like it was her idea. Not an easy task.
She rides her bike to school every day. Mornings aren't too difficult - it's downhill much of the way, the weather is cool, and she has an entire day of school (her favorite!) to look forward to. Afternoons - a completely different story. She often arrives at our meeting place in a huff and a puff over the fact that the world is out to get her. Or something. And so it goes, all the way home. So and so cut her off. She has too many itches beneath her helmet. This hill is too hard. It's too hot. This evil bike always falls over. I've learned to arm myself with cookies and ice-cold water for the trek home because, hey who wouldn't want a cookie? Food always seems to smooth things over, dudn't it?
Anyway, since I've been making this trek almost twice daily for the past three and a half weeks, I've noticed something. While riding to school with the kids, there is always either no breeze or a tail wind, hurrying us along. When I ride back home sans school kids, that makes for a head wind. Poor me.
When I go to pick them up in the afternoon, there is either no breeze or a head wind. Too bad, so sad. Which makes for a tail wind on the way back, urging on the little ones. So here's my point. What "Phoebe" thinks is the earth crashing down on her (the ride to and from school) is actually a cake walk (in comparison). The tail wind that often ushers her home lightens her load, but it goes unacknowledged (except to me, who has to brave the head wind going the other direction...and the tag-along... and the parachute).
It reminds me of the part in the Book of Mormon where the people of Limhi are in bondage to the Lamanites and, when they pray for God's help in easing their burden, that is exactly what He does. He does not free them from bondage; but he does lighten their load so that they don't feel it upon their backs. Oh, how I wish "Phoebe" would recognize the little gift from heaven that she receives on a daily basis instead of lamenting the burden she bears by having to ride bikes instead of sit comfortably in the car.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment