Solution: I ask a child once to pick up a specified item. If she does not do so within a minute (give or take), it ends up in a box labeled ever-so-lovingly with her name. She cannot do anything fun until her box is emptied of its contents and stowed in its proper place.
Though the progress is not yet measurable, I'm confident that this method will at least expose them to the sheer amount of stuff they think belongs all over the floor. Raising awareness, that's what I'm doing.
2 comments:
Oooh...this is such a great idea. Stuff sits on the stairs for days at my house with everyone saying, "That's not my mess." I may just have to steal the labeled box technique! Thanks for sharing!
Good idea! I'm a tidy person too (admittedly to a fault) but my sister.......not so much (to a fault). So the rule in our house was that if we were asked to clean out stuff up more than twice, and it wasn't done, on the third strike so-to-speak, my Dad would put said stuff into a bag and we had to earn it back (i.e. chores). It worked for my brothers and me, but my Dad had to endure temper tantrums from my sister until it finally sunk in. Good luck!
Post a Comment