Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fun is not my middle name.

I'm a good mom. I know that. I can identify a whole list of things I do well as a mother. But I'm not going to talk about those in this post.

One of the things my kids seriously miss out on with me as their mother,(besides matching clothes and adorable hairdos, that is) is holiday fun. I'm just not an occasion-person. Oh, I manage to make birthdays reasonably special, and you just can't help but go gaga over Christmas celebrations, but everything else in between is just kind of blah for me. I kind of see most holidays as an excuse for the marketing world to ensure that as much money gets spent on meaningless items that just make you sick or take up space in landfills as possible. So now you know how I really feel. What a Grinch, I know.

St. Patty's Day is no exception. Don't get me wrong, I admire moms who have the energy to set leprechaun traps, dress head to toe in green, and run out of green food coloring all in the name of fun. I consider their kids lucky. It's just not my thing.
So here's our meager St. Patrick's Day offering.



Green pancakes and milk. And you know what? Pancakes for dinner is about all it takes to give my kids a thrill. Thank heaven.

No comments: