Sunday, March 25, 2012

Nine.


My firstborn had a birthday this week. We killed two birds with one stone and took a trip to Twin Falls - hot destination, I know. Tim and I switched off going to the temple (ours is closed for renovation) while the other swam in the hotel pool with the kids. This was Anna's "birthday outing" and it did not disappoint. My kids think staying in a hotel is the best thing since sliced bread. When I was little, we practically lived in hotels every summer while visiting family (we lived overseas). Not my kids - this was only their second time (at least that they can remember) staying in one and it was exciting as can be. 24 hour access to a pool and hot tub just can't be beat. 6 people sleeping in the same room? Yeah, I could do without that part.

We drove straight home for her chosen birthday lunch at Tucano's then hit up Krispy Kreme on the way home so we could construct her birthday cake of choice. A tower of donuts.



And now, a quick list of the things I love about Anna at age nine:

1. The spattering of tiny freckles across her cheeks that appeared less then two years ago.
2. Her voracious appetite for books. The trump card of all punishments for this girl is taking away her books at bedtime. I love hearing her pull out new vocabulary words she undoubtedly picks up from all the books she reads. It's particularly cute when she mis-pronounces them, making it all the more obvious she's learned them by reading.
3. Her sense of humor. Don't be fooled by the camera. Her shyness prevents her from flashing a toothy grin, but this girl laughs easily in the comfort of her own home. She's a clever one.
4. Her desire to be good. A precocious child by nature, you can almost see the wheels turning in her little head. She has an ongoing battle between her curiosity and draw to thrill-seeking activities and her innate desire to do what's right and good. She's learning to strike a balance, and it's fun to watch.

Anna, we love you. I'm so grateful you made me a mother. Now, smile for the camera, will you?

3 comments:

Topsy said...

Now THAT IS A CAKE!

Cherish said...

Sounds like a fun birthday for your cute Anna!!!

Steph said...

Anna is a wonderful girl! I can't believe she's nine already! :)