Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May I see your library card, please?

I took everything out of my daughter's room today.  I was tired of begging her to clean up after herself, tired of her apparent deafness at my polite requests, tired of denying her the privileges which are rightfully hers when she takes care of her things, and tired of hearing her say, "It's just that I hate work, Mom.  I just don't want to work!"  I'll show you work, my dear.  Raising you is work.

She was pretty torn up over the complete removal of everything near and dear (though a bit, too near and dear, if you ask me - as in strewn all over her bed near and dear).   I allotted her a single blanket, her pillow, and the clothes on her back.

We implemented a library system.  When she needs something, say, a pair of pajamas, she must check it out.  When she is through using the borrowed item, she must stow it away properly, in which case she may keep it.  If any items are outside the confines of her drawers, closet, or bookshelf, they will be removed and unavailable for checkout.  No fines you say?  Well, I'd like to think this isn't really punishment - the way I see it, I'm just simplifying life for her until she figures out how to manage all of the stuff she's accrued in her short life.   In the meantime, all that "stuff" is stacked in my once-tidy bedroom.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Steph said...

NICE!!! I love it!! May just have to try that myself...Good luck!!

Valerie said...

Fed up, huh Suz? Sounds like a good plan and I hope it works wonders!

Stace said...

I love this idea. Good job mama.