Thursday, November 1, 2007

Good. Better. Best.

My senior year English teacher once revealed to me a secret wish of hers: for the human body to require no sleep. At the time the following thoughts ran through my mind:
1. I LOVE sleep.
2. What would I do with those eight hours that I could possibly enjoy more than a voluntary state of unconsciousness?

I am no longer a senior in high school. I still LOVE sleep. But, assuming that my body did not require it, oh, what great things I could fill my time with!

Which leads me to my next point. Elder Dallin H. Oaks spoke in the most recent (LDS)General conference on priorities. He categorized actitivites that might fill our time as good, better, and best. Where in the priority spectrum does blogging fall?

I started blogging primarily to keep some semblance of a journal, since writing in one has evaded me for all the years since my mission with very few exceptions. I have since discovered that it is a remarkable way to keep in touch with people in a strangely intimate (and at the same time, distant)way. In addition, my command of the English language has been somewhat resurrected. By reading other's blogs I find inspiration, humor, and instruction. The list goes on.

But is it good, better, or best? I don't have an answer yet. I guess it's just another one of those things that lies in the gray area and depends upon timing. Am I spending hours a day blogging? No. Am I plugging my kids in front of a movie so that I can blog? No. Do I prefer it over other more important tasks? Sometimes.

Ugh. Just another pasttime that I have to throw into the balance of life like everything else. If only I had an extra eight hours to make me feel less guilty about the obligations I can't possibly fit into only sixteen.

2 comments:

Polliwog said...

I'm having the same debate with myself. There is so much good (and I think that journaling and keeping relationships up are in the "best" category) but I am not balancing some of the rest of my life very well. It's a matter of priorities.

And I have been known to blog while my kids watch the TV. (Confessions!)

Anonymous said...

I don't know how I completely missed this entry but I love it! I think that some people would say that your ablility to keep blogging to a minimum is phenomal. Give yourself some credit bucko
!