Friday, November 9, 2007

Curiosity killed the cat.

Tonight I went upstairs to retrieve the girls from the play room so that they could join us for dinner. I couldn't help but notice that one of Rachel's favorite toys (a cylindrical bucket with a lid that has 3 different shaped holes into which she can insert blocks that correspond to the shapes of the holes) filled with a liquid. Not so surprising. I looked a little closer. The liquid was yellow. I asked, "What is this?" I knew what it was. I asked, "Who did this?" I knew who did it. The only one precise enough to eliminate in a container of that size is, of course, Anna. Precision aside, she's the only one curious enough to find out what it would be like to urinate in places other than the toilet. I won't elaborate about the time I discovered that the stench emanating from her room was simply a result of her using the air vent as a makeshift toilet. Not just #1 but yes, #2 as well.
I don't get it. If only brains and common sense went hand in hand. One thing I'm starting to get, however, is that I'm pretty sure that what she is truly curious about is what I'm going to do about it. If my responses are always controlled and predictable, though, will she ever stop being curious?
For now, I'll just be glad that I discovered Anna's little present before Rachel got a hold of it. Unless, of course, she did get her hands on it. Ew.

5 comments:

Malauna said...

Gross. That reminds me of the time when my sister and her kids visited when Sabrina was 18 months. My nephew used the toilet, didn't flush and Sabrina went in the bathroom and started splashing the 'water'.

Valerie said...

Brings back memories...

Anonymous said...

Susie,
Remember the time that Timmy pooped in the street and the Mercedes drove over it? That was precision. Thanks for sharing such a great story!

Susie said...

Precision on Timmy's part, or the Mercedes? Must run in the family, huh?

Polliwog said...

You have so much writing material... But I'm still not jealous! ;)