Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The proper care and feeding of husbands.

I try hard to make my husband feel like he is my top priority. I have dinner on the table every day (okay, almost every day), I call him at work for reasons other than to find out what time he's coming home, I try not to change into my sweats until after he's been home for at least an hour, I try to keep a tidy home so that the chaos that usually prevails is carefully hidden the moment he walks in the door, and if I'm really feeling ambitious, I might even apply a fresh coat of lipstick before he comes home so it looks like I dressed up for him. And frankly, though at first it sounded to me like an antiquated practice to be the goodly homemaker who makes her husband feel like her "knight in shining armor", it really works. Well, it works when I actually do it. It's called selflessness, folks.
But there is one component of this practice that I simply cannot do with a straight face. Have you ever tried to ask an electrical engineer about his day? I can only take about 2 minutes of engineer jargon before I start singing Sinatra in my head. I mean, really, who wants to hear about DDR3, or RLDRAM, or transformers (oops, I mean transistors... I think...) Seriously!
Fortunately, I think Tim must have noticed the glazed look on my face every time he breaks out the geek lingo so he chooses to answer my "how was your day" question with the top stories that he heard on Glenn Beck or Bill Handel (radio talk shows that I no longer have the time to indulge in). Much more down my alley. Thanks a bunch honey.

3 comments:

Topsy said...

Hilarious. People keep asking me what is Brett doing at work, and I look at them and think I didn't know what the heck he did when he worked down the street. Like I know now?

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Once again...I love that I can witness the humorous scenario.

Malauna said...

We try not to allow "geek lingo" into our vocabulary and instead use "technical jargon" because then it can be used to cover the glazed look in Ryan's eye when I talk to him about all of the amazing fabrics I ran across at the fabric store.

And that is a free-write comment. I hope it makes sense.