My parents moved from Alpine, Utah to Orem, Utah over three years ago. Tim and I were pretty stoked when they moved to Orem because of its convenient location. It seems that everything is just around the corner. And even though Alpine is a mere 30 minutes away, I haven't had many opportunities to venture back up to my old stomping grounds.
I took the girls up to visit my brothers' graves in the Alpine cemetery today. Alpine was almost unrecognizable. I couldn't help but curse the transplants for changing Alpine from a quaint town nestled into the edge of the mountains into a beacon of materialism. I mean, really, since when did a family(I don't care if they're polygamists with 20 children!) need a 8000+ sqaure foot home? Alpine has always had a reputation for being affluent; as a teenager when people would ask me where I was from, I would respond truthfully that I lived in Alpine and get some sort of "oh then you must be a rich snob" look or comment. Compared to the Alpine of today, I can't believe that anyone ever passed such judgment on it. Seeing it's current state, I'm now inclined to pass the same judgment.
I'd like to assume that the people who live in those elaborate mansions are extremely generous, that they're all the head of some philanthropic organization bent on saving the world. Okay, I can handle that. I also am very much a capitalist. I think that if people can live good lives and be filthy rich doing it, the more power to them. What I detest is the flaunting of that wealth and the focus on frivolous things: the cosmetic surgery, the home that screams "I have more money than you", and the spoiling of otherwise sweet, simple children.
Well to all of my friends whose families still live in Alpine, I think it's safe to say that I do not include you (or them) in my analysis. And if you happen to know personally some people that exhibit some of the above behaviors and can still conclude that they are honorable decent individuals, okay. All I have left to say is that I left a bit discouraged that the humble town of my teenage years, where I wasn't embarrassed to drive a multi-colored Chevy Sprint (whose third gear didn't work) had been transformed so dramatically.
On a more positive note, thank heavens they finally did something about the dilapidation that was Alpine Market for so many years. It looks fantastic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It has changed a bit TOO much hasn't it? Our poor hometown. At least you were able to see Mike and Timmy. I hope that made it worth your while.
I only have my family's perspective to go on, but they claim that there are no more humble, generous, solid people to be found anywhere than those in their ward (some of whose homes would warrant your comments). So there's that, for what it's worth. My biggest gripe with the changes in Alpine is how big it's gotten. And I have some very fond memories of trips to Alpine Market, though I will admit the abandoned building needed some serious help. :) I also enjoyed your Black Friday post.
Thanks Em - it's nice to get an insider's perspective.
Post a Comment