Thursday, November 8, 2007

You know you have too many young children when...

your four-year-old is the designated babysitter.

Yesterday I took all three girls to the doctor. It was at 1:30, a sacred time at our house because it's quiet time, otherwise known as mom needs to recharge time. But, it was an emergency(one that I don't care to be made public) so I packed a few packages of fruit snacks and left to brave the doctor's office with three tired children in tow.

Actually, it worked out rather well. I found it kind of funny, however, that Anna was asked, not once, but twice to be "in charge" of a younger sister while I spent some time in the restroom. The first time was reasonable enough. She and Lily were left in the examination room while I took a clingy Rachel into the bathroom. The second time, Lily (her usual timely self) had to use the bathroom, so I quickly whisked her away with a hasty request to Anna to "look after Rachel for a minute". When your four-year-old is asked to look after your not-even-one-year old, you know that you've got your hands full.

This is the same four-year-old that spent quiet time a few days ago breaking a few cardinal rules:
1. Do not leave your bedroom.
2. Do not mess around in Jill's room.
3. Do not use Jill's scissors to cut your own hair.
4. Do not use Jill's scissors to cut Rachel's hair.
5. Do not spray perfume on Rachel's cheeks, thus causing her to break out in hives due to an allergic reaction.

And she's the responsible one. Like, I said, I've got my hands full. Here's a picture of the damage:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoot, that reminds me! I think I forgot to lock my door AGAIN this morning. Sorry Suz!

Susie said...

You're lucky it's Thursday. Between dance, Joy School, lunch at the park, we were hardly ever home!

Lindsay said...

I so hear you on this post. Hang in there. Repeat my favorite mantra: they won't be little forever, they won't be little forever....

Polliwog said...

At least these kinds of days give you great writing material. I loved reading about it and really felt for you. :)

Malauna said...

I like Lindsay's mantra. I think I'll try it when I have a day like yours.

Susie said...

Yeah, except they won't be little forever. Most of the time it's comforting. Other days, I kind of wish they would stay little, if you know what I mean.