Yesterday, I was changing Rachel's diaper when the shrill sound of our smoke alarms tried to compete with the volume my girls were generating while playing. Clearly, they won. The smoke alarms, I mean. Usually I know exactly what the culprit is when the smoke alarm goes off. In fact, 9 times out of 10, it is when someone is cooking bacon and has neglected to turn the stove fan on. And yes, we love bacon around here, for those of you cringing at the thought of eating straight fat.
This time, however, I had no clue what was causing the clamour and rushed downstairs to put it all to an end and spare everyone's ears and nerves further damage. To make a long story short, Lily had put a couple of plastic measuring cups in the oven and I, of course, didn't check inside the oven before preheating it to 400 degrees (who does?). She had been pretending to bake cookies. Now, those cookies were oozing down my oven racks and all over the bottom shelf. All I could think of was how grateful I was that I had ignored the inkling I'd had earlier in the day to clean my oven. I guess sometimes laziness really does pay off.
On a completely different note, last night the doorbell rang after 7 pm, and Tim's immediate response was, "Yea, cookies!" Don't you just love the holidays?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
So, so so funny.
If that had been me, I definitely WOULD have cleaned the oven (just my luck). Good fortune for you, though. :)
I hope no major damage was caused by the plastic cups. Pretty funny.
Post a Comment