Saturday, December 29, 2007

In with the new.

And don't forget "out with the old". In fact, I would venture to say that one of the few aspects of Christmas that offsets the disgusting onslaught of toys and clothes that, let's face it, no one really needs is the fact that I can finally declutter. Admittedly, it's probably one of the few obsessions I have. It took Tim at least a year after we were married to get used to the fact that, if he left a piece of paper(or anything else with no apparent value) sitting on a surface that was otherwise clear, it would be gone within 24 hours. Having 3 kids has worked wonders in tempering my compulsive nature but through and through, I am still my father's daughter and I LOVE order.

On Christmas Day, my kids were, not surprisingly, distracted by the items gifted to them by none other than their well-intentioned parents and grandparents. I saw the perfect opportunity to start piling into boxes used toys, books, clothes, and games that, as I saw it, were simply taking up space. Up until this point, each time I have suggested giving a few things away to the needy (I have to jazz up the phrase "getting rid of" somehow), my sweet children boldly proclaim how they can't live without this doll (that has been marked up with a pen), or that stuffed animal (to whom they haven't even bothered to give a name), or the book that has sat under their bed undetected for months. Consequently, I typically find a time to discreetly stow a few seldom-used items in a box until I can donate them and hope that the girls don't notice.

Not on Christmas. As they played happily, I filled 3-4 huge boxes with stuff and barely got so much as a glance my way. I thought I was done for when Anna remarked, "Mom, are we giving those to the needy people?" I answered hesitantly..."Yes." To which she responded, absently, "Oh." and went on playing with the latest and greatest. So my kids are spoiled and I'm actually happy about it. For now. Because my house is just a bit more organized.

I'll give you a more complete Christmas update soon... with pictures.

3 comments:

emily snyder said...

i can't believe you really and truly have 3 little girls!!! time flies by...i still remember talking to you one day the byu by the back stairs just south of the jsb....now you are a mother and amazing wife!
my talk was definitely NOT copyrighted :) steal all the thoughts you want!
i hope life is good and great :)
--em

Anonymous said...

I wish I had thought to declutter...Christmas is a good smokescreen for the kids, nice thinking!

Anonymous said...

I miss you.