Monday, December 24, 2007

BYU vs. UCLA


When Tim and I were young married students at BYU, we faithfully attended BYU home games, having purchased an all-sports pass both years we attended for a mere $60. If only cable TV in Boise could be found at such a bargain price. Our minimal TV-viewing habits has not justified the investment in cable or satellite, so we have a cute set of rabbit ears atop our entertainment center that provides us with 6 or 7 channels, on a good day.

Apparently, we have a few fellow BYU alumni friends here in Boise that are as cheap as we are. We all expressed our devotion to the Cougars last Saturday night by going to a local restaurant/sports bar to watch the Las Vegas bowl (BYU vs. UCLA). I'm sure that the owners dread people requesting any game where BYU is one of the contenders since they will neither be generating any alcohol revenue from those customers nor do they have any guarantee that these guests will bother ordering anything from the menu (in fact, a shameless few might opt to bring in their own food?). Let's face it, we Mormons are cheap.

Not having exhausted the meager "eating out" portion of our monthly budget, and having the luxury of a free babysitter that night (thanks Jill), Tim and I went the whole nine yards and ordered an appetizer first, an entree at halftime, and a chocolate milkshake for dessert during the fourth quarter. My body could not support such gluttony. I honestly cannot remember a time in my life when I imagined a race to the bathroom to unload my dinner into the toilet and it sounded like an attractive option. I vow never to eat like that again (except maybe when I'm eating for two).

Dinner aside, BYU displayed its characteristic disappointment in the fourth quarter, having allowed UCLA to get within field goal range when BYU was only up by one point. But, they also, in classic cougar style, surprised us by blocking what should have been an easy kick into the end zone. Pretty sure we were the only fans clapping in the restaurant.

1 comment:

Malauna said...

That was fun. Thanks for inviting us along. Maybe next time we'll arrive in time to watch more than the 4th quarter.