On our return flight from Maui two days ago, Tim and I were relaxing in the comfort of coach class on ATA, sipping cranapple juice and gingerale(respectively, not mixed together) waiting patiently for the in-flight movie Evan Almighty to begin. I had already devoured half of the conference issue of the Ensign and couldn't help but think of how apropos the movie selection was, considering we were traveling on the Sabbath. (After all, God is one of the main characters, right?)
The pilot interrupted my thoughts to make an announcement over the intercom. It went something like this: "We have a somewhat unique (unique being the operative word, here) situation that we wish to inform you of. Apparently, our lavatory tanks were not serviced before leaving Kahului and have reached their full capacity. We've decided to turn around and go to Honolulu to have the tanks serviced. We apologize for the inconvenience and blah, blah, blah.
My first thought was, "Stop the beverage service and keep going! Good heavens, we're already two hours into the flight! I can hold it another three!" Tim, however, already had to go and momentarily stood up to occupy a place in line for the restroom. When he came back he shared this little tidbit: "There was a torpedo poking through the flapper - I didn't even bother to flush." Thanks honey. (You're probably wondering to yourself what it is about me and blog posts that involve bodily functions.)
24 hours later, we landed safely in Salt Lake City and still had to drive 4 1/2 hours to Boise. The upside to this whole encounter: we were not traveling with our children, we had 6 nights of uninterrupted sleep under our belts, and we acquired two free roundtrip tickets to anywhere in the U.S.
The downside: I had to stay in Vegas for a night (6 hours of which were spent waiting, just waiting... and only 4 hours sleeping) my hopes of seeing my sweet children were dashed until the following day, and I have the craziest week ahead of me!
Maui was wonderful - I'll post pictures soon.
One last thing: are airplanes the only place we call a restroom a lavatory anymore?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe they are still lavatories at Elementary school. And perhaps on Greyhound and Amtrak. Happy to have you back home. Hyrum can use some uninterupted sleep.
Welcome back to the mainland Suz. As I recall, our father still refers to them as lavatories, regardless of their location.
Post a Comment