Sunday, December 7, 2008

Nicotine and tobonco.

The other day Lily began a conversation by saying, "Mom, some medicines are bad because your body starts to want them all the time but they're not good for it." A bit random, but since we'd had a conversation within the last few months about why her uncle Mike died before she was born (of a drug overdose), I was impressed that she remembered my explanation of the danger of drugs.
She continued, "That's why nicotine is so bad. Your body really really wants it, even though it's bad for it."
I replied, "True. Um, where did you learn about nicotine, Lily?" I thought maybe one of the Joy School teachers was altering the curriculum in some weirdo fashion.
Anna piped up. "I learned about it from the school counselor. Nicotine is in tobonco. And tobonco is in beer."
I stifled a laugh, "Actually, tobacco is in cigarettes."
The conversation continued, and so did the use of the word "tobonco", despite my correction. Kids are so darn cute.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

How cute! It's good that you're documenting comments like this - your kids will be grateful in years to come when you can answer something other than "I don't remember," to all their queries about their childhood.