Are you one of those "grass is always greener" folks? Sometimes I am. When I was growing up, my younger brother, who had muscular dystrophy and was significantly handicapped was a constant reminder of my blessings. Though I'm sure I was very much a typical self-absorbed teenager most of the time, the concepts of reaching out to others and service never really evaded me because I lived with someone who brought me a great deal of perspective, teaching me that happiness is not dependent upon what we have or the ease of our lives but who we are and what we choose.
I have long since moved out of the house, and my brother passed away almost 10 years ago. But every once in a while, the Lord still blesses me with small glimpses of suffering, of neighbors whose trials far eclipse my own. I know of one such friend, who performed an act of service on my behalf just this week. It came at a much greater sacrifice to her than the same act would have come to me. It touched my heart.
I've struggled this season to give my children that perspective, to help them see that their lives are rich and abundant, that for some crazy reason, the Lord has seen fit to bless us far beyond what our actions warrant. Unfortunately, I haven't done so well. For at least one of my children, everything is always about her. I'll keep trying. But in the meantime, I can pray that the Spirit touches her heart as it did mine this week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like perspective. I find ourselves always trying to schedule activities or opportunities in hopes that our kids will glean some life perspective from them. Service is a big one that we are working on right now.
Post a Comment