I never have fresh herbs on hand. They cost a lot - and they come in these huge bunches so unless you're an amazing planner and can incorporate cilantro, or basil, or parsley into each meal for an entire week, it will inevitably go bad before you get to it all. Solution: grow your own herbs. I've always shied away from them and opted for tried and true tomatoes, lettuce or zucchini (ironically, the zucchini got stunted within its first two weeks this year, though.)
Best thing about growing herbs: you can clip as many leaves as you need at a time. Thanks to my cilantro plant, I've made two Indian dishes in the past two weeks and the most glorious grilled fish tacos ever tasted. All for the price of a packet of seeds - which will last me, I might add, 5 years if stored under optimal conditions.
The crowning jewel though, was the chicken pesto pizza we gobbled down last night when I noticed my basil was getting out of control. Yum. I hope it holds up until the tomato harvest. I can just smell the homemade spaghetti sauce now...
1 comment:
I'm so jealous of your garden. I tried to grow basil on our fire escape but totally failed!
p.s. I love that ubiquitous onion dip too. : )
Post a Comment