I ran my first 5K this morning. I say "ran", but I mean "walk and jog". It took me 38 minutes. But I did it! All while repeating in my mind "I hate running, I hate running, I hate running." You runners may assume that my attitude contributes to the drudgery but I assure you, even when in the best shape of my life - I despised running. Loathed it. I can even trace it back to my early elementary school days when I about hyperventilated every time we had to run for our physical fitness test. As if lugging skin and bones a couple of times around a 400 meter track was really that hard. Well, it was. Clearly, my body's not cut out for it. It doesn't stop me from doing it, but I seriously don't get the whole runner's high phenomenon. Put me in a pool or on a bike and I'm happy. I run only because I love to inflict pain upon myself. Makes me feel accomplished or something. Triathlon, anyone?
Post edit: I read this post after the fact and realized that I had conveniently omitted the line about how I never really ran a competitive 5K, it was just a jaunt on the treadmill during a routine workout. Hmm. Sorry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey, that's a fantastic accomplishment!! Loving running comes and goes...when you get that feeling of 'hey, this doesn't suck today', you'll know you've hit your stride. I kind of miss it now that I can't do it anymore. GOOD JOB!!!
Wow, I had no idea! Good going, Susie!
Awesome job! I can't wait to get out there and torture myself some more. I hate/love the feeling. I need the endorphines going through my bloodstream. Everytime I run I feel like I release all the pent up stress. I wish we lived closer to each other. It's a lot more fun to talk to someone while you run. AAAhhh fresh air on a summer night - can't beat it. Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment