Thursday, June 3, 2010

What? You don't have TV?

I got a call from a salesman for satellite TV a few weeks ago. After the initial greeting, our conversation went something like this:
Him: Which do you subscribe to, cable or satellite TV?
Me: None.
Him: What? (incredulously) How many TV's do y'all have?
Me: One.
Him: Well, what do you watch?
Me: We've got rabbit ears, so that buys us a few channels. And movies. We watch movies.
Him: Wow. Really?
Me: Yep.
Him: Well, what do you y'all do up there?
Me: Uh... we work, spend time outside playing with our kids, go biking, hiking, swimming...
Him: Wow. (pause) How many kids do you have?
Me: Four.
Him: Oh my. So I guess this is the end of the road for you guys, huh?
Me: Maybe.
Him: Wow. Well, I suppose you wouldn't be interested in anything I have to offer, then, huh?
Me: Not so much. But thanks for calling!

Strange. I mean, I knew I was a little weird, but seriously, is having four kids and not watching TV so completely backwards? Nevermind. After experiencing this man's complete bewilderment over my answers, I don't want to know.

1 comment:

Aaron and Stephanie Cousins said...

you are not backwards. years later when many children have reaped the effects of a life in front of cartoon network and nickelodeon, when many people do not remember what lettuce is and where they keep their running shoes, they will ask the secret to happiness, and you will know. okay, we plan to get "tv" but I relish these years where we choose not to pay for it yet. monetarily or otherwise.