Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Holiday. Celebrate.


Chinese New Year is a big deal at our house. One of my favorite memories as a child was taking the yacht my dad's company owned out on Hong Kong harbor to watch the Chinese New Year fireworks. I remember freezing my nether regions off, though I'm sure, even in the evening hours, it was probably no colder than 60 degrees.
Now I can't let a Chinese New Year pass by without at least a wee celebration. Some years we invite other couples or families over to eat delicious fare, chat and play games. This year I took the easy way out and impulsively bought dim sum and steamed buns to serve to my little family. So I didn't look like a total TV dinner loser, I threw in a pot of homemade egg drop soup (not traditionally Chinese, though, as far as I know) and we called it dinner. It was yummy.

Valentine's Day arrives with slightly less anticipation on my part. Any holiday where my kids claim ownership of dozens of treats to be inhaled at a rate unknown to man just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Anyone who doesn't believe sugar and illness have a direct correlation is in denial. Our bouts of sickness come right after Halloween and Valentine's Day every year. Every year.

Still, we had fun topping our own heart-shaped pizzas and sniffing the beautiful roses Tim brought home. Poor guy - with five girls to woo, February is going to be a stressful month every year until the end of time.


3 comments:

Karen Caldwell said...

Your food looks so yummy! Can I come to your house for dinner???

Melissa said...

My blessing for you on Chinese New Year is that there was no tofu in your dim sun.

Joe and Joanne said...

Hi Susie, it's nice to virtually meet you! The internet is great that way. Thanks for sharing your blog; it looks like you had a fun Valentine's Day! You are right: I am already laughing at your children's antics - that rabbit head is something else! Are the heads as good of luck as the feet? ;) I look forward to getting to know you better - only two months!