Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Summertime, and the livin' is easy.


So much to tell, so little time. I'm also finding a lack of inspiration at the end of such fun-ridden days. Just too darned tired. Why am I tired? Well, for starters, me and the kids have been running off to the park, the pool, the zoo, and Anna's dance camp for the last week. We go to the park largely because they provide a free sack lunch for the kids at 11:30 everyday. I'm pretty sure the whole thing is intended for kids who qualify for reduced lunch at school. But since they don't advertise it as such, and there's always more than enough lunches to go around, I take advantage of this "free" program. At least once or twice a week... can't help but see the irony in my picking up my kids free lunches at the park and jetting off to pick my oldest up from a somewhat expensive and rather unnecessary dance camp...I know, I'm a middle-class hypocrite.


Regardless, it's activities like these that make me fall in love with summer over and over again. Days full of carefree fun that wear the kids (and me!) out till they drop (but usually not before 10:00 at night, still). Truly one of the joys of parenting. To play, and play hard. And to wonder why the heck they are cranky all the time when I'm granting them their every desire. I guess my kids have their limits. They need food, they need naps, and they need to know what to expect. As soon as they lose one (or all?) of them, I'm left to deal with the aftermath. Which is exactly what we're going through right now. On tap for tomorrow: last day of dance camp, a trip to the zoo, quiet time (where has that gone?), and perhaps a dollar movie with dad. Have I told you how much I LOVE summer?

No comments: