Thursday, June 19, 2008

The rabbits ate them.

This afternoon I was out grilling hot dogs for dinner while the kids played in the yard. Anna came running, a distressed look on her face, and informed me that something had eaten the sunflowers we planted a few weeks ago. I walked to the spot and, indeed, something had clipped the leaves clean, leaving only about an inch or two of stem. She gasped, "Did the earwigs eat them?" I replied, "No, earwigs usually just nibble the leaves, this looks like some sort of an animal, maybe a rabbit." Still distraught, she was finally somewhat consoled when told that they still might grow back.
When Tim came home for dinner, I relayed the story to him in pretty much the same fashion and he kept asking where the sunflowers had been planted. After describing in great detail the spot we had chosen for our row of sunflowers, he suppressed a laugh. Later, after Anna had left the table, he whispered to me that he had chopped the sunflowers down with the weed-wacker the other night in preparation for a house showing. "I thought they were weeds!", he defended, amid peals of laughter. Weeds, in a perfect row, growing at the exact same rate with the exact same features...
Thanks, Dad, for destroying the kids' only experiment in gardening this summer. Weeds...

4 comments:

Polliwog said...

Well, my sunflowers grew WAY too high and are all falling over since they can't support themselves. I'm pretty sure I planted them too early. Maybe I'll blame the rabbits, too. :)

Topsy said...

He thought they were weeds! Oh no Tim.

sew happy Stacy said...

I had the same experience with Doug shortly after we first moved in here. I had flowers planted in this beautiful circle around a bigger pot and he went out one morning to weed, to surprise me and then when I noticed they were gone he let me go on and on about someone stilling my newly planted flowers, for like 3 days before he confessed. Don't men realize beauty when they see it???

Anonymous said...

Silly rabbits, sunflowers are for kids!