Saturday, June 28, 2008

Volume control.

Have you ever wished your kid had a volume control knob fastened to her? I do. All the time. Each of my girls has a talent for yelling/screaming but I think that Lily takes the cake. When she was two years old, I took her to storytime at the library and had to carry her out of the room because she was upset that Miss Tammy (the storyteller) hadn't shaken her hand during the hello song. It went something like this. I saw her looking awfully rejected and knew an outburst was imminent. I rushed to the front of the group to rescue everyone else from the displeasure of hearing her scream. I almost made it. She held her breath, almost to the point of turning blue (probably for close to ten seconds) before releasing it in the most shrill, high-pitched, mirror-shattering scream you've probably never heard. Ten seconds was not enough to remove her from the room. After storytime, another mother came up to me, thrilled that she had discovered another child who could scream with the same wretched volume as hers. I thought to myself, "I'm so glad that my embarrassment could be the source of your comfort."
I don't get embarrassed anymore. When we're at home, I ignore it. When we're in public, I take her from the room (and sometimes the building). I think the outbursts are decreasing in frequency. Maybe it's due to my outstanding parenting skills (hahaha). Truth be told though, I still dream of a volume control knob. Because now Lily has Rachel in training. And frankly, my ears can't take the damage.

4 comments:

Cherish said...

Yes, I have wished for the same thing. Hey, I'd even settle for a mute button. :)
CONGRATS on baby #4 that is awesome! Hope you are feeling okay!
Oh, ya and beautiful flowers! You've got skills!!!

Topsy said...

At least she screams a painful scream when she is upset - those times should hopefully be less frequent.

Sydney screams whenever she is happy and excited. And that seems like it is all the time. We have tried teaching her other ways to express her joy. other types of giggles or squeals of pleasure. But she inevitably uses her ear piercing scream to communicate her joy to everyone else who is shuddering in pain from the noise

Anonymous said...

My oldest has the volume control stuck at its loudest 24-7. He talks loud, eats loud, whines loud, laughs loud. Just loud.

Aunt Roo said...

You're right. She's a genius at screaming. I credit her to teaching my children the high-pitched scream. We call it our "outside" scream. Good luck...I'm praying for you...