Last week during a visit to the temple, a lady walked up to me and said, "I hope this won't embarress you, but when I first saw you I thought you looked exactly like Mary." As in, the mother of Jesus.
My first thought: Pretty sure you've never seen Mary, lady, but thanks for the compliment.
Second thought: This is weird. She is not the first, but the second person who has told me this in my short lifetime. (Okay, maybe not so short, but a girl can dream, right?) The first time, a man in my hometown thought I looked enough like Mary to take pictures of me dressed as Mary so that he could paint a picture of them and put them on his family Christmas card. Sounds strange, but it was actually quite cool.
Upon relaying this unusually amusing experience to my husband that night, I told him that I thought it flattering that someone (albeit a stranger) would associate me with this remarkable woman. To which he replied, in so many words. "She doesn't even know you. It's because you're hot. Mary was hot."
Hmmmm. Virtuous, faithful, humble, kind, righteous. Of all the adjectives that could be used to describe Mary, he selects "hot". Hot, huh?
I'll take hot.
7 comments:
It's true! You're hot. I say that partly because I haven't been on a date since 2006 and partly because you are hot. You have the coolest mouth, and dimples around your smile. Work em girl! I've always thought you were gorgeous. I make a point of having better looking friends than myself!
Laughter fills the hall at Tim's adjective usage. I don't think of Mary as hot. You, however, are hot.
Funny story. Beautiful is a better word to describe you and Mary, but hot sounds more like a word men would use. And, you are beautiful.
I told Will about this post and, after laughing at Tim's comment (typical of him, I might add!) Will said that, like you, Mary was probably naturally beautiful, not just made-up beautiful. I thought that was very insightful and very sweet.
I have has such a wonderful time reading up on your life through "blog world." It has been a while since I have actually had a second to sit down and enjoy reading about someone else's life. After reading through yours, I realized I have greatly missed it! Fun posts! Cute girls! Beautiful baby!
Susie that is amazing! It's so true...you do eminate Mary's strength, poise, and beauty. What a compliment, and a BEAUTIFUL painting of you. Looks amazing!
I'll take "hot" anyday! I remember that picture hanging your room. I can fully see why people see Mary in you. Not just physically but the Spirit you present to the world. You'll have no idea how much the year I spent living with you influenced whom I have become. Thanks Suz.
Post a Comment