Sunday, May 10, 2009

No expectations.

May I introduce my motto for Mother's Day: No expectations. It's a built-in guarantee for a successful day. My favorite Mother's Day moments:

1. For the first time in 4 years of teaching at church, I have a team teacher and she agreed to teach today.
2. Sleeping in until 8:00. Sure beats 6:00.
3. Waffles and orange juice.
4. Talking with my own, too-amazing-for-words mother on the phone for almost an hour.
5. Catching Tim taking a nap while I was on the phone. The girls were fighting and I was looking for a helping hand so I could keep talking to my mother. I guess he gave at the office. (To his credit, he worked his tail off yesterday and still managed to get breakfast on the table while juggling the three youngest girls this morning - still, I had to laugh.)
6. Lingering after church yielded an unexpected surprise - an extra Mother's Day treat from another ward who had overestimated the number of chocolates they needed. Yum.
7. A crockpot dinner. Easy as pie. (Except that pie isn't, in fact, easy. Or am I missing something?)
8. Catching Rachel photocopying a carpet-cleaning coupon over and over. And over. In color.
9. A gorgeous bouquet of tulips from my own garden (see previous post).
10. And last, but certainly not least. I want to shout it from the rooftops that none, that's right, none of my children had to be removed from any of their church meetings today for misbehavior. Okay, I had to bribe a couple of them with a Tic Tac. Sue me.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I'm glad your day was so enjoyable! And your prescribed philosophy of low expectations would make many of life's inevitable frustrations much easier to deal with. Way to go!