Saturday, October 25, 2008

Converting the world, one person at a time.

Early in June, while visiting Boston, one of my old college friends introduced me to Facebook. No, I'm not from the Stone Age; I knew what Facebook was, but my main impression was of a younger sister who, while living with us, checked it so regularly that Tim and I finally gave into buying a second computer for Christmas last year. Yes, Jill, you were the inspiration. Hee. Hee.
Upon my friend's suggestion that I set up an account to better keep in touch with long lost singing buddies from Boston U., I did so when I got home from my trip. And haven't really done anything since. I've got a photo (a kind of weird one, at that), a hometown, and that's pretty much it.
I keep getting invitations from friends, who I add to my facebook list, some of which are ones with whom I've not been in touch since before getting married (which seems like an eternity ago). It's rather thrilling, if you ask me. Almost makes me want to jump the bandwagon. Or not.
Something about Facebook makes me wary. Perhaps its the cult-like following, its addictive quality, its propensity to become an enormous time-waster. Arguably, blogging could be categorized in the same fashion. But at least I can pass off blogging as family history. Facebook? I need a little more encouragement. So, if you're a facebook faithful, or not, please tell me why. Otherwise, I'll just keep my head stuck in the sand, as always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez Suz, way to burst my bubble! ;)
You know very well that I am a fan of Facebook. When I am married and have a family I highly doubt I will spend the time keeping in touch nearly as much as I do now. Maybe that's what it comes down to. Family does come first, so the amount you pursue it now is probably best. That's my two cents.

Anonymous said...

Here is a question I posed to myself when I began to see the facebook influence in my life....Is there any difference checking facebook 2-3 times a day than checking your blog that many times to see if anyone has left a comment on your latest post?

In my mind, it is all in how you manage your addictions. Facebook has allowed me to find family and friends that I would have liked to stay in touch with, but never had the medium.
Finally, facebook is very low maintenance. The End