Two questions to which I can answer in the affirmative when I've had a successful day:
1. Did I spend quality time with my kids?
2. Was I able to complete several (if not, many!) tasks either on or off my to-do list?
I've had days where I've either done one or the other, and I've had a few days where I've pretty much done nothing worthwhile at all (though, thankfully, not many). Either way, I feel pretty crappy.
Take last Saturday, for example. Tim and I spent most of our day catching up on projects that were anxiously awaiting us after our weeklong trip to San Diego. In the accomplishment arena, we did just fine. But I don't think the kids left the house all day. We might have fed them a couple of times, maybe even played a game or two with them. Otherwise, our girls were victims of neglect. At the end of the day, I felt like a loser of a mother.
I've made up for it this week. This morning I even overlooked a mile-long grocery list so that we could visit the zoo. The kids were mesmerized by the new African plains exhibit - our dinky little zoo now has lions and giraffes! Seriously cool. And cold. We lasted about an hour in the 40-something degree weather.
Anyway, while I definitely feel that accomplishment takes a backseat to playing with my children, I need both components to feel some measure of success. And so it is. Enjoy the pictures.
1. Did I spend quality time with my kids?
2. Was I able to complete several (if not, many!) tasks either on or off my to-do list?
I've had days where I've either done one or the other, and I've had a few days where I've pretty much done nothing worthwhile at all (though, thankfully, not many). Either way, I feel pretty crappy.
Take last Saturday, for example. Tim and I spent most of our day catching up on projects that were anxiously awaiting us after our weeklong trip to San Diego. In the accomplishment arena, we did just fine. But I don't think the kids left the house all day. We might have fed them a couple of times, maybe even played a game or two with them. Otherwise, our girls were victims of neglect. At the end of the day, I felt like a loser of a mother.
I've made up for it this week. This morning I even overlooked a mile-long grocery list so that we could visit the zoo. The kids were mesmerized by the new African plains exhibit - our dinky little zoo now has lions and giraffes! Seriously cool. And cold. We lasted about an hour in the 40-something degree weather.
Anyway, while I definitely feel that accomplishment takes a backseat to playing with my children, I need both components to feel some measure of success. And so it is. Enjoy the pictures.
3 comments:
I admire your desire to be both a good mom and have a sparkling clean house. I don't know how you do it! I seem to be able to do one or the other, but can't do both. My mom used to have a sign in our house that said "Trying to clean the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the snow while it's still snowing"...I get it now.
I need to make reading your blog a morning ritual...something to get me started in the right direction!
Any tips on things to do with a 1 year old. I desperately want to spend quality time with her, but I am just not that creative. I can only read so many books in one day!
You should come to Colorado Springs we have an amazing zoo!! We go all the time.
Post a Comment