Monday, October 20, 2008

There's a pile of rocks in our driveway.

Yep. It's been sitting there since the end of August. It was on our list of September projects. Since then we've had a string of scheduled (or inclement weather) Saturdays during which Tim hasn't been able squeeze in the time to wheelbarrow (can I use that as a verb?) them back behind our property as weed control.

Our neighbors despise us, because this never-dwindling pile of rocks serves as a great playground for little kids who can't resist the urge to climb it, slide down it, toss a few rocks around the driveway, or collect a few samples and take them home. My kids included, of course. But Tim is not a fan of the mess - so the rocks are off-limits, a sore tempation for little ones and a pain in the rear for those of us attempting to control them.

I'm trying my hardest to pick up the slack at home - requesting very little from my busy husband, who's been working later the last few months, and growing more and more inundated with additional projects - a broken fridge at our rental property, sprinkler issues, busted toilets, etc. All of which he is too cheap (and too handy) to hire someone out to help him. I love him for that. I've even resorted to mowing the lawn - something I swore I would never do - lest I set a dangerous precedent and end up doing it for the rest of my life. Or at least until my girls are teenagers.

Anyway, my point is not to complain, but to illustrate our current situation. I realized yesterday that much of what prevents Tim from checking to-do's off his list is his willingness to serve at inconvenient times. He responds about 90% of the time to last-minute calls for help with those moving into our neighborhood. He takes time off of work to serve at the cannery. He serves faithfully as a home teacher and in his calling. I'm sure many of you can say the same about your husbands, as well. Yesterday, he agreed to help clean the church when there was no one else available. He showed up and found our good bishop and his kids helping out. Yeah, as if the bishop has nothing else on his plate...

Tim could certainly explain away an inability to serve with his 3 very young children and pregnant wife at home. It's so easy to anticipate that someone else with a less hectic lifestyle could more easily do it. I've done it. But notwithstanding the fact that there may not be anyone out there with a less hectic schedule, more importantly, the depth of our sacrifice is a measure of our hearts and ultimately, our standing with God. I'm grateful that Tim wants to score more points in heaven than on earth. He is a true example to me.

Oh, and I'm also pretty stoked that he managed to spend a few hours whittling the aforementioned pile of rocks down to about 1/3 its previous size.

3 comments:

Malauna said...

I did notice the pile was smaller upon my return. Keep it up, Tim.

Valerie said...

You have an awesome husband Susie, and you make a great pair. I'm proud of you both and grateful for your examples.

Cherish said...

That is awesome he is so willing to serve others. It is a sacrifice on both of your part. Way to have an eternal perspective! I give you extra "kudos" for having a good attitude when you are pregnant and exhaused.

My neighbor had the same pile of rocks during the summer and they ended up putting a tarp over it to reduce the mess. Just an idea?