I've wanted to post about this for some time now - probably about a year, but have been somewhat wary because of the sensitive nature of the subject. I'm a reasonably opinionated person and once wrote about a topic that I feel very strongly about but somehow it all came out wrong so I withdrew the post. So, I post now with a small degree of trepidation, only because I know that the decision to experience an unmedicated birth is, for some, a deeply personal subject.
Not so much for me. I often have people ask me why I prefer to forego an epidural during childbirth (which is largely why I post about it now, because I've been asked SO many times, I thought I'd get it down on paper). My response to them: "Because I was curious." Although an epidural seems to go hand-in-hand with labor nowadays, with most medical professionals assuming that is the route each and every woman is going to take, I couldn't resist the draw to experience labor in all its glory. Just because. It's not as if I was opposed to medication - or that I would feel a failure for giving into the pleasure of a pain-free birth experience. I simply wanted to try it.
What I didn't know was that a unmedicated labor isn't something one just tries. One needs adequate preparation. So, after giving birth to my oldest and realizing that the oh-so-wonderful epidural I received came just 15 minutes before I was fully dilated, I decided to give it another go the second time around. I read numerous books on "natural childbirth" and talked to several moms about how they manage the pain, which empowered me to labor mostly at home with my second daughter, make it to the hospital only 45 minutes before giving birth to her and satisfy my curiosity about this whole childbirth thingy.
So, my curiosity abated, is it masochistic to keep doing it this way? Not at all. I really like it. To some, that may seem like lunacy. Much like it sounds insane to me to run over 26 miles in several hours. But tell that to one who has competed in a number of marathons and she'll probably tell you that, though tiring (and possibly painful at times), to accomplish a seemingly insurmountable goal is exhilarating. It's not like I enjoy contractions. Or that I feel completely composed while my insides feel like they're being crushed. But, in this case, for me, the outcome fully justifies the agony. Both times, my babies have been fully alert, ready to eat and placed gently in my arms without the complications that the IV's, catheters and numb legs resulting from epidurals present.
I could go on and on about the risks associated with epidurals, but you can research it for yourselves. Besides, it was only after I had committed myself to trying labor without medication that I discovered that information. Sure, the risks are small. But in my simple cost-benefit analysis and personal experience, I've found foregoing the epidural to be well worth it. And not just because it saved me $70 in coinsurance.
One final thought: no one can analyze another's labor. I've had a few well-meaning people somewhat minimize my pain by saying things like "well, your babies come fast" or "you were born to give birth". Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't. It's too subjective an experience to presume something like that. Which is why I perfectly understand why someone would opt for an epidural. Even the best of labors is, unless you are some lucky soul, excruciating.
So there you have it. I'm crazy and I love it. So, if you think you might be crazy enough to try birthing without an epidural, email me. I'm just full of ideas. You may find it to be horrific. You might discover it to be wondrous. More than likely, it'll be both.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You're preaching to the choir, to me at least. Thank you for giving me a better rebuttal for when people minimize my labor experiences because I give birth unmedicated. Judging often does more harm than not.
thanks for posting this susie. although i'm not in this stage of life yet, i'm definitely curious too! i'll have tons of questions for you and my sis some day...
Not that I think you are but I just want to say: on the other hand, don't judge those of us who do choose to have an epidural. I appreciate the way it relaxes my whole experience, leaving me laughing and talking with my husband instead of writhing in pain. I choose to go as long as I want without the epidural and then get it. I recognize that I have nothing to compare it to but I think my labors have been so much better with one.
Katie - you were my inspiration. Although the idea has been churning in my head for some time, your post about that birthing movie got me on the ball.
Lindsay - I totally agree. Though after my first unmedicated labor I wondered why the heck people were so quick to get epidurals, I've since realized that it's just such a personal issue that it's impossible (and unfair) to judge either way. It's all a matter of preference.
I've thought a lot about other ways to labor--hypnobirthing, doula, etc--but I know that I am not one who easily relaxes anywhere and I can't imagine that I'd do very well on my own in the middle of such pain. Perhaps, it would be different than I imagine.
I probably came close to going unmedicated with Sawyer's birth. The anesthesiologist did not tell me I had to push the button for more (in Boise its a regular drip) so by the end I think I was feeling pretty much everything.
Anyhow, you're right. It is a very personal thing. I just wanted to say that is is okay to get one. It does not make you less of a woman or mother.
Amen to both Susie and Lindsay-
All of mine have been unmedicated but that is because of that wonderful car accident I was in when I lived with the two of you. Remember??
I have wouldn't use the word enjoy but there is something to be said for "feeling" it all if you are prepared for it. The nurses are always so shocked when they come in and find me without medication-
Either way, I think the reward and outcome for enduring labor no matter how you choose to do it is pretty amazing.
As a side note I would pay a great deal of money so that my husband could "feel" labor for just 10 minutes!!! Don't get me wrong he his wonderful and compassionate but wouldn't it be nice if they could just really understand it??
Oh how I wish I had the opition of even considering doing a "natural" delievery. I just have to remember how lucky I am to have modern medicine (aka c-sections) because without them Janey and I would not be here today. Someone gave me some really good advice while I was pregnant that I wish I would have listened to more. They said, "No matter how prepared you feel for a delievery, there is always a chance for the unexpected." Jane's delivery was far from what I imagined, but the end result was perfect. Thank goodnes God has given us many differnt options and provided ways for His sweet spirits to get to us.
And I've had both of my kids C-section, and I don't feel robbed by not experiencing labor pains. Good post all around. We judge too much! You do what YOU feel to be best for YOU!!
This was a well written post Susie. I like what Stephanie said about how we all judge too much...so true. I would just say to everyone out there having babies, medicated, unmedicated or otherwise..really the BEST way to have babies is to adopt. TOTALLY pain free.:) (But WAY more hassle believe me!) But does it even really matter HOW the babies get here? Isn't it the baby itself that is the miracle..not the labor?
Good luck with this time around.
Post a Comment