Thursday, October 16, 2008

A truly organic experience.

Hot showers. Aren't they wonderful? In my life, showers fit into several categories:

1. The get-down-to-business shower. You know the type. It's basically a mad rush of shampooing, conditioning, washing, shaving, rinsing and toweling off before the kids kill each other.

2. The family shower. Once upon a time this involved only one child but rather than squeeze all three of my children into a small space, I now plop the two oldest into the soaker tub to play while Rachel and I mimic the get-down-to-business shower and hop out just in time to get dressed (or throw on a bathrobe, in my case) and help the older girls wash their hair.

3. The abbreviated get-down-to-business shower. Same as above, minus the shaving. Am I the only one with hairy legs half the time?

4. The forever shower. My personal favorite. It seems like forever, but it's probably more like 20 minutes - of pure bliss. I might fit in the essentials of cleaning but when I'm lucky enough to get a forever shower, the true joy of it is not in the logistics but in the experience. 20 minutes of back massaging hot water, 20 minutes of sheer cleanliness, 20 minutes alone. And that, is really where the magic lies.

3 comments:

Topsy said...

Yes that sounds like magic.

And no, you are not the only one who does not always shave. In fact, I've made a new record this summer. Cube box showers are all the rage in new houses here. But the first time I bent over to balance my leg up (oh I miss my old shower) I actually hit my head on the glass. Yes it is that tight! I feel like I'm in Europe! They are big on garden tubs, and that understand, but a man must have design the shower because it STINKS. So, no room, bruise on my head, no post pregnancy balance, leads to no shave!

Jessica Waters said...

I looooove the long showers, few and far inbetween. But when I get them I drain the hot water tank!!!

Anonymous said...

You really should think about being more eco-friendly. 20 minutes...geesh!