Wednesday, April 29, 2009

TV makes you dumb.

The general rule at our home is that we don't watch TV until after Anna gets home from school at 3:30 p.m. Which is really quite sad, since I think my kids would pretty much rather watch TV than do anything else in the world. Except maybe go to Disneyland. I tire easily of saying "no" but remain committed to the goal of limiting media in our household for a number of reasons, most of which I won't even begin to enumerate now. But the reason I most often quote to my kids is that TV makes you dumb.
Occasionally though, the thought of dumbing my kids down a bit doesn't actually sound half bad. When their schedules are left open to their imaginations, there's no telling what kind of trouble they will get themselves into. It always involves some sort of mess, often results in a feud, and only sometimes ends in injury. Like two days ago, when I succumbed to their pleas to keep the Aerobed that Grandpa had slept on when he visited over the weekend inflated, this is what happened:



Cute, huh? Yes, that is the ceiling, which is, might I add 9 feet high. Not exactly sure how the three of them managed to scale a 6 plus foot air mattress, but it apparently makes a rather amusing apparatus upon which to slide down. Not that they would know...

No comments: