We kept it low-key this year, in honor of our decision last year to tone down the birthday celebrations so the kids don't overdevelop their "me" attitudes. I slaved over dinner but the dessert took the cake (pun intended). Just picture white chocolate cream cheese sandwiched between two fudgy cake layers topped with chocolate whipped cream. It's difficult to believe that last year's could be even better, this one was so delectable. Thanks to my mother-in-law for the Mrs. Fields cookbook. It has given us many wonderful years of unbelievable desserts, and many not-so-wonderful pounds on the hips and thighs.
The girls each made him a birthday card - Rachel's a sloppy cutting job and a mass of scribbles, Lily's stuffed with fallen rose petals with the words "Hapy Brthda Dad. I luv oyu.", and Anna's an artistic creation full of love and sincerity. As I watched them surround their dad, bearing gifts, I could not help but wonder how we got here. How our lives could be filled with this overwhelming abundance of love. How this man, all 31 years of him, could win over the hearts of so many beautiful girls. And oh, do we love him. Anna anticipates his sharing of the daily news with her before bedtime. Lily loves his hugs and kisses. Rachel adores him whole-heartedly. They all run screaming to the door when he gets home from work. Happy birthday to my Tim. He's got a lot to show for a mere 31 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment