Monday, September 21, 2009

It's the Susie Egbert Show!

I don't care for the spotlight. This may come as a surprise to those of you who performed with me in high school - that was just a phase. Being the center of attention is just plain embarrassing, even when it has nothing to do with pants getting pulled down.

Anyway, I've been coasting along in the background, mothering my four children, singing in the ward choir, teaching the kids in Primary, etc. Then I'm asked to serve as the Second Counselor in the Relief Society at church. For those less familiar with the workings of a Mormon congregation - that's one of three leaders over the women's organization in our church (a group of close to a hundred or so). I'll be in charge of all the activities - from service projects to cooking classes, to quarterly dinners (complete with a program) and other such stuff. Daunting? Nah. I can plan an activity. Or ten. Being on the spot? Not my favorite.

Even crazier was the fact that I had to stand and sit a grand total of five times during sacrament meeting yesterday between being released from my previous assignment as a teacher, being called as a counselor in the Relief Society, singing a solo, leaving with a noisy baby, and saying the closing prayer. Seriously, what were they thinking?

Next time look for me in the back row.

3 comments:

Malauna said...

I'm sure you were the only one counting... You'll do great in your new calling!

Annie said...

you're perfect for the job!

Cherish said...

I'd come to your "show" any day. You have a beautiful voice! You will be an awesome counselor. Sounds like a very busy day...hope you had a little more relaxing one today.