I'm a pretty opinionated person. As a teenager I felt it my obligation to tell everyone exactly what they were doing wrong. And why. Oh yeah, my tongue could spar with the best of them. No one could possibly win an argument with me. (At least that was my perception - now I'm guessing I probably looked pretty stupid half the time).
Then I grew up a bit. Oh, I still have opinions. Only now they're backed by research and shaped by experience. And I manage to keep my mouth shut most of the time, just for good measure.
The other day, though, I got into a discussion about adoption - not usually a terribly controversial topic, I suppose. But this particular day, my mood was especially tart, my inhibitions, well, nonexistent, actually. I boldly remarked that people who get pregnant out of wedlock and keep their babies are selfish. Strong word, I know. Especially since keeping the baby is actually honorable when not supported by the father and, in consideration of other alternatives that are readily available to people who find themselves pregnant under less-than-desirable circumstances.
Anyway, I suppose I could offer some explanation as to why I made such an argument But I won't. I will suggest that adoption is a remarkable process - a miracle, of sorts, to see a child paired up with a two-parent family who so desperately wants to bring children into their home. I realize that it is a deeply personal decision and will refrain from making offensive assertions about those who choose otherwise. However, I am inspired by those who place their children in loving homes in the hopes of securing a better future for their son or daughter. How painful it would be. Which is what makes it all the more selfless, as I see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment