Friday, December 4, 2009

My Antonia


In the way of book reviews, I rather enjoyed My Antonia, by Willa Cather. The imagery was stunning - I've always seen Nebraska as the state one must endure while driving I-80 to Chicago. But to those who settled it, I'm sure beauty must have peeked through the harshness that was winter in those parts.

Notwithstanding how I enjoyed this particular tale, its characters and the various themes that forced reflection, I was completely turned off by the foreword. I made the mistake of reading it before beginning the novel - which didn't necessarily taint my experience, but left a bad taste in my mouth in and of itself.
Basically, three-quarters of the thing was about Willa Cather's sexual orientation. Whether or not there is evidence to support the idea that she was a lesbian, I don't see why that has to be the primary factor that influenced her writing. It really bothers me that sexual orientation has become such a defining characteristic for everyone these days. It is one of many traits that shape a person, not the be all and end all.

I could go on and on. The foreword was a temporary setback. But once I got past it, I loved the book. It made me grateful for the comforts of life I enjoy - the fact that when I travel to visit someone, I arrive after only a few hours of travel in the luxury of a plane or car, with a warm bed waiting for me, a fridge full of food. Having to hunt or search for food and build my own shelter after months of travel in the bitter cold is an experience I'm glad I don't have to endure. It's remarkable isn't it? How we take things for granted? I think it's possible to be happy under any circumstances; but it's determine by the level of gratitude one can attain.

The book also gave me a glmpse of true Christian service - of helping others even when the receiver is undeserving or ungrateful, of biting one's tongue when he feels his temper rising, of turning the other cheek. Too often I forget the role mercy plays and favor justice.

I suppose I'm rambling. All in all, I would recommend My Antonia, otherwise I would not be blogging about it. Just don't bother with the foreword.

No comments: