I've been in a bit of a "Scroogy" mood lately. Deprivation remains hidden in our part of the country/world so, though I realize people are suffering somewhere, somehow, it's hard to see past the materialism that dominates our culture. For instance I taught Joy School a few weeks ago and we did a sub-for-santa activity where each child brought a toy from home (gently used) or bought a toy with his own money to give to "needy" children. I was not looking forward to it, largely because I personally don't think that kids (or anyone, for that matter) "need" toys. I even cringe at the idea of buying my own kids toys for Christmas. Plus, if a family's really destitute, wouldn't a 25 pound bag of wheat fit the bill? That was my bah-humbug.
Apparently, the lesson was for me. Some kids give gifts begrudgingly. That day, they lit up at the prospect of bringing Christmas to someone else. They couldn't fathom the idea that someone their age would not be getting toys for Christmas this year. They each went home, motivated to give the best that they could. One boy told his mom he wanted to give his very favorite toy to the children. And he did. Without hesitation. My own daughter picked out a toy from our treasure chest of toys that we buy on clearance for birthday parties, selected what she felt to be the ultimate prize and pulled out hard-earned money from her piggy bank to pay for it. Without complaint. Other moms have since mentioned what a positive experience it has been for their child (and by extension, for their family) by participating in this activity.
Perhaps children don't really "need" toys. But our children needed to give them. And I needed the reminder that truly, it is better to give than to receive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great story!
Post a Comment