
A year ago on January 13th, a dense fog set in over town. I was scheduled for my first induction ever, my nervousness compounded by the fact that the reason for said induction was an irregular heartbeat (really not all that uncommon or worrisome, but to a pregnant, hormonal mom whose other 3 deliveries had been pretty much identical, I didn't need a whole lot of fodder for anxiety). I also was delivering at a new hospital with a new doctor (who had replaced one that I absolutely adored) and add to that the fact that I prefer unmedicated labor and was unprepared for how I would be able to manage the pain when connected to a huge, wheeled stick with a bag of fluids attached to it (and my body, not to mention). The delivery went better than expected, Eve's arrhythmia resolved itself and we added the fourth beautiful baby girl to our clan.
But the fog didn't lift. I spent every day for the next three weeks in tears. The unbelievable fatigue, a baby who couldn't nurse, three other kids who were struggling with the big transition, and the relentless mid-January fog were a perfect recipe for depression. I pretty much fell apart. And this girl is not used to that.
I feel badly that the circumstances surrounding Eve's birth dampen the spirits a bit. She has been a lovely baby and has brought insurmountable joy to every single person in our family. But when I say she's a perfect baby, it's always tainted with a hint of reservation. Yep, we got off to a really rough start.
Having said that, Eve really is a perfect baby. So much so, that I might consider doing it all over again in a couple of years. Maybe. And, in celebration of her first birthday this week, I decided to ask her a few questions:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you like to play in the toilet?
Oh, 10, of course. The yellow stuff is particularly fun.
How many words can you speak?
Does screaming count?
Which do you like better? Getting thrown into the air or spun around while hanging partially upside down?
Let's just say that Six Flags is definitely in my future.
How many times have you fallen down the stairs?
Only once, because my mom got smart and put up the gate. Nasty rug burn for days, though.
Peaches or pears?
Hands down, peaches. In fact, I tolerate all the nasty stuff dad throws onto my tray only because I know eventually the peaches will start coming.
What would you say is your best feature?
It would have to be a three-way tie between my gorgeous round eyes with long lashes, my squeezable cheeks, and my stinky feet.
True or false - Birthday cake was my first dessert.
Duh, mom. I have sisters to feed me, remember?
What is your favorite thing to do?
Besides pull your hair? Uh, anything new, I guess. Grocery shopping is pretty cool. Especially when no one else comes and you actually talk to me.
How would you describe yourself at age one?
Practically perfect in every way.

5 comments:
Happy Birthday, Eve! I loved reading your interview. Such wit and humor for such a little one. I also thought your cake was darling but you hardly destroyed it. Don't care that much for dessert? Just peaches? Well, I'm glad to hear that you are being so good to your mom. Could you come and teach my baby about such things?
Eve is a little doll, and that cake was GREAT! Happy first year to your little January baby!
Happy Birthday to Eve! I can't believe she is 1, they grow too fast.
That does it! I can't stand it any longer and if I have to HITCHHIKE, I'm coming to Idaho to see you and those darling little girls. It's been almost two months and I can't stand it any longer! By the way, thanks for all the pictures and posts. I love and miss you all.
Come up this weekend! Anna doesn't have school on Monday and we're going to see the newly renovated Capitol building. I'm not one to turn down the company (or the help with crowd control...)
Post a Comment