Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lessons in parenting.

My kids are rotten. They bring me to my knees, literally. After praying for help last week, I opened my scriptures to study for an upcoming lesson at church. I was struck my the reminder I found in the few verses I read that God's plan for his children was to allow agency. Being the results-driven person that I am, occasionally I forget this valuable truth in favor of coercion. They must learn to obey, I tell myself. Yes, that is true. But, in the process, discipline must be exacted with the intent to build character, not to force compliance.

It occured to me today that, perhaps my kids are so stinkin' rotten because otherwise I would lack the motivation to develop sound parenting skills. As it is, I spend hours reading the scriptures and praying for guidance, I study a few favorite parenting books repeatedly so that I am reminded of good principles that would otherwise be easily forgotten. In their place: parenting techniques that are immediately-effective but lacking in long-term results. My perspective changed. Now, I feel grateful that my kids are keeping me on my toes. How awful would it be to have angelic children until age 13, when hormones, strengthening peer relationships, extracurricular activities, media influences, etc. all conflict with the influence that parents have on their children. If that were the case, I would be up a creek without a paddle, lacking the equipment and perhaps the relationship to parent my children effectively. Today I was thankful for the enormous amount of practice they are giving me in preparation for the dreaded teenage years. Today. Don't ask me tomorrow.

2 comments:

Linda Oxborrow said...

What a good perspective.... I will give that some thought... I was wondering what parenting books you turn to????

Susie said...

I really like Christlike Parenting by Glenn Latham and Love and Logic by Foster Cline and Jim Fay. Pretty good stuff, but not always easy to put into practice.