Wednesday, March 2, 2011

If I had a million dollars.

Okay, so maybe it would only take several thousand. But it just so happens that there are a ton of other things that I'd rather do with a few thousand dollars(not to mention hours and hours of my time), so the house we've been living in for almost 6 years now is still not decorated. It's just not been a priority. But that doesn't preclude me from being bothered by the lack of color, or style, or class in my humble abode (and, when it comes to decor, I do mean humble, right down to the used TV we bought from my older brother before getting married 10 years ago and the $35 Wal-mart entertainment center that houses it). I don't consider myself a worldly person at all. But, just for kicks, let's just imagine that I am and make a list of just a few of the items I would purchase to dress up my place.

1. Matching chairs for my kitchen table (or better yet - an entirely new dining set!)

2. A decent-sized LCD screen (okay that's for Tim) and an entertainment armoire so we can forget it's there most of the time.

3. A desk other than the one we have. It belongs in a cubicle - I'll leave it at that.

4. Curtains for the master bedroom. We spent the first three years with a denim sheet draped over them and have been cursing the day we removed it so we could show our house. Ah, curtains... a must-have for summer's early sunrises.

5. A few classy pieces of wall art. A couple of religious paintings. Wall canvas prints of my adorable family.

6. Bar stools. And a hutch/desk for the kitchen area, though I'm undecided as to how to make that "work".

7. Bookshelves. Pretty ones. Sturdy ones. In almost every room. I heart bookshelves. And books too. But mostly bookshelves.

8. Built-in garage shelving. Considering my husband's inner pack rat tendencies, I've come a long way in accepting the reality that throwing out "treasured" momentos doesn't make for happy marriages. So a huge garage (we already have that) with an ample amount of storage solutions (don't have that) would result in a happier me.

9. A rug or two.

10. A seat for the front porch. Have I ever mentioned that we have this fabulous front porch and absolutely no seating? Well, it's true.

And that about rounds out the top ten.

Being the boring people we are, I have no doubt we'll likely pay off our mortgages and have fully-funded college savings accounts for our kids before we check off the above list. Those things just don't seem very important, you know? But a girl can dream, right? And yes, I realize that it's a little pathetic that matching chairs for the kitchen table are but a dream for me.

2 comments:

Steven said...

I wish I had the self control you do when it comes to "decorating" your house. The comfort/peace of having your house paid off/college for the kids and money in the bank far exceeds what the paintings on the wall or matching chairs give. I hope to be more like you when I grow up. :)

Steven said...

oopps...I was signed in under Steven..(it just me, Cherish)