Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Matchy matchy.

I love the transition from mommy picking out the daily outfit to newfound independence at selecting one's own attire. It typically begins at about age four in our house - not because of some hard and fast rule - just a natural transition. One that occurs with a bit of trepidation on my part because, after three girls, I know that I will be sending my children out on more than one occasion mismatched, or clearly underdressed, or better yet, with that morning's chocolate milk on her shirt. Poor Anna was sent back to her room on more than one occasion for a second chance at finding something that was less than embarrassing to her mother. I've loosened up quite a bit, though. And I'm learning to let kids be kids and not evaluate every misstep or, in this case, mismatched outfit as a reflection of my poor parenting. Because, let's face it, if I did, I would be labeled an utter failure on every account. Since Rachel has embarked on this new adventure, I thought I would highlight a couple of her clothing selections.

I like to call this one "pink and pink":



Please appreciate the fact that it is still the middle of the winter here. And her pants have a hole in them. And they're polka-dotted. And her shirt is striped. And it may or may not have a stain on it.



Tim tried his hand at capturing the black tights she wore last weekend with the brown floral (summer) dress but alas, she's catching on and won't cooperate with our photo ops.

2 comments:

Karen Caldwell said...

Brooklyn (now 4) went through a stage that lasted about 2 years where she had to wear a dress everyday. I let her. She froze in the winter, but she's one of those girls who will suffer for beauty. I'll have to be a little more strict for kindergarten/recess cold. Now she's regressed and she wants me to dress her again. Stages, stages.

Karen Caldwell said...

I love these pictures because they look just like my girls. I think it's cute. Whenever I see a girl in a princess dress or mismatched clothes out in public, I smile.