Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I'll do anything for a discount.

Tim and I try to take each of the kids out on a couple of dates a year so they can get some one-on-one time with each of us.  They also have the opportunity to earn additional dates via the chore/responsibility system we have set up.  Anna wanted to go ice-skating with me so I checked out the free-skate schedule online and was pleasantly surprised to find that they would knock off $3 apiece if we dressed in 80's garb. 

Now, I am about the furthest things from a pack rat you can find - if I haven't used something for a year, it gets donated or tossed.  Tim won't let me touch his stuff - he's got oodles of stuff taking up valuable space in our closet and garage over which I have no jurisdiction (under threat of death...almost).  But that's beside the point.  The point is, anything remotely 80's that I once owned was in a thrift store pile decades ago.  Still, I'm a sucker for saving a couple of bucks, so here's what Anna and I threw together. (You can't see it, but my jeans are, indeed pegged at the ankle, and both of us sported side ponytails, though mine isn't too obvious from the picture).  Anna's comment before we left:  "Mom, I never knew you could look so young!"  Guess I should go for the side ponytail more often, eh?



We were the only people there who bothered with the discount.  We were pretty much the only people there, period.  Turns out Idaho Ice World on Friday night in July is not much of a hot spot (no pun intended).  Not that I'm complaining - we had the whole rink to display our rockin' figure skating skills.  Or our ice-covered bottoms... but who was looking? 

No comments: