They're the same plans I have every summer. I even make out an adorable Excel spreadsheet mapping out our daily schedule (color-coded, of course) replete with homeschooling plans, training in practical skills, outdoor play, trips to the pool, exercise, play dates, field trips and so on.
Reality sets in about the third week. My plans don't go to pot, but, about then I realize that I am dealing with four distinct personalities. Girls who actually have opinions of their own. And so I learn to be flexible.
Most days we manage to get chores done, some outdoor play, an outing (does Winco count?), and often a visit to the pool. We've also tackled cooking class with friends for Anna and Lily, sewing school with friends for Lily, weekly piano lessons, and an occasional art or music lesson. Any other academics have all but gone out the window. But that's not really an issue with my kids, so I'm not too torn up about that fact. So it turns out that I'm still insane, just as not as insane as originally expected.
Fortunately, this summer has been full of the stuff of which childhood is made: an ample supply of popsicles in the freezer, building treehouses, playing in the park, whiling away hours with one's nose in a book (except for me - I'm crossing my fingers I get time for that during the school year), watching the clouds go by, and riding bikes with neighbors in the cul de sac. It's been delightful (minus the fighting, but no one's perfect).
I had a moment last week when I realized that we only have three weeks left of summer (excluding the two we will be spending stuck in a minivan traveling half the country together) and I was a bit saddened. Saddened, and relieved. I love having my kids home all to myself. I love not having to be out the door by 8:30 every day. I love that we've made it this far into summer and I don't even have to feel guilty about the amount of media my kids are consuming (we've kept it at school year levels - easily!). But I would be lying if I wasn't just a bit tickled that I will not have to drag all four children to the grocery store (and everywhere else, for that matter) in just over a month.
So, despite falling short of my goals, I would venture to say that, so far, this summer has been a success. Now bring on the 55+ hour road trip! Can't wait to report on it.
And now, just a few pictures for kicks:
Aw, they really do love each other.
Anna, working on a skirt. The blind leading the blind, I tell you.
Downtown, at the farmer's market. The girls look simply thrilled to be there, huh?
Feed them a few donuts and allow them a good romp in the fountain and they perk right up.
This is the life...








No comments:
Post a Comment