We are wrapping up a week's worth of cooking classes for both Anna and Lily. A daily lesson taught by one of several mothers who have children about the same ages as mine. It's been fun - but I must admit, the schedules that I figured had gone out the window as soon as school got out resurfaced with a vengeance this week. Constant shuffling to and fro was the name of the game
.
Aside from the frenzy of getting kids to the right place at the right time and teaching two classes in my kitchen - one to six chatty nine-year-old girls, and the other to five energetic seven-year-olds, it has been fun. Tim asked me tonight if I thought that the collaboration with other moms is worth the work. "Wouldn't it just be easier to teach the girls at home?", he questioned. My answer? Collaboration is completely worth the effort.
Here's why:
1. First, the training actually gets done. It's so easy to skim over teaching certain skills to one's own children. Sure, they might help in the kitchen, but when something actually has to get on the table, I'm less concerned about ensuring the correct technique and more concerned about efficiency. This week, we've completed a recipe (or two) a day, where the kids get hands-on experience in basic kitchen skills. In fact, the lessons are designed around the development of those skills.
2. My kids love learning with their friends. Some of my children jump at the chance to help me with dinner. Others don't. Particularly the ones who are involved in cooking classes right now. But, when I dangle the prospect of a glorified playdate (in the form of a cooking lesson), they jump at the opportunity.
3. Other moms have so much to offer. Believe it or not, I don't think I have all the answers. In fact, when it comes to parenting I have very few original ideas. I rely on moms who surround me, who've been mentors to me, who've given me life-altering advice and inspiring examples over the years. I treasure my association with them, and am confident that my children are likewise enriched.
So yes, Tim, there you have it. And aren't the little dears cute(posed to attack with a pastry blender)?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment