I'm fascinated by the way in which the feminist agenda has shaped our world over the past few decades, and was intrigued by this article explaining several ways in which our world can put family first while furthering the presence of women serving in prominent leadership roles throughout the world. (It's long, so don't feel inclined to read it - I was riveted, but then again, I'm a little weird).
I have my own opinions about women and their role in the home and the world, but since I lack the time to really get into it right now, I thought I'd share the following:
Worst quote from the article: We may not have choices about whether to do paid work, as dual incomes have become indispensable.
Please. It is possible to live on one income. We have four children and we do it. We just go without a lot of things that the rest of America seems to think are necessities. I'm not suggesting that dual income families are overly materialistic (although I'm sure some of them are), only that it is possible to live on one income and not compromise one's happiness. Unless you think money can buy happiness, in which case, by all means, both parents should work. (I also recognize that, in many cases, dual income families are, in fact, by necessity - in other words to provide the basics of life. I'm not talking about those people, I'm talking about people who could logistically live on one income - it's not as hard to do as one might think.) Okay, done with that rant.
And... the best quote: Whenever I am introduced at a lecture or other speaking engagement, I insist that the person introducing me mention that I have two sons. It seems odd to me to list degrees, awards, positions, and interests and not include the dimension of my life that is most important to me—and takes an enormous amount of my time.
Bravo. When all's said and done, I feel that all the accolades in the world will pale in comparison to the investment we've made in our families.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment