Sunday, July 8, 2012

Land of the free.

We celebrated the 4th by hitting up downtown for the parade (for the first time in the nine summers we've lived here, in fact.) 

(The only shot I could get off all four of them - a real winner, I know.)



                                        (It wouldn't be Idaho without an NRA float...)
Chomping on candy, arguably the best part about parades, according to the kids.  They had no qualms about fighting for candy like their lives depended on it.  Tim remarked that San Diego parades put Idaho ones to shame in their candy dispersal - I wouldn't know, but I suppose if the children are finished with their candy before we even get back to the car (or the parade is over, in Lily's case), the floats were pretty stingy on candy volume.

For dinner, we scored hot dogs at a church barbecue and had a lovely time visiting with friends.  (No pictures of that.)  Then we headed over to visit with more friends at a neighborhood block party/fireworks show.  These guys really put out all the stops every year - we never have to buy anything ourselves because there are enough pyros to go around.  Burning money... I'll never understand it.  (But, for the record, we do throw a few dollars at our friends for providing the fireworks, we're not that cheap.)  My kids can always find some generous neighbors from whom they can beg for a few sparklers.  Works like a charm.  Even for Tim.
Happy Birthday America!

No comments: