A few weeks ago a strange rash appeared on Anna's side. A few days later, a similar patch of red made its way to her knee. The itching was impossible for her to ignore, so I scheduled a doctor's visit, but not until after I had done a ton of online research to pinpoint her ailment.
This has become a habit of mine. Researching the illness, narrowing it down to one (or two, but usually one) possibility, scheduling a doctor's appointment, painfully listening to him tell me that I am, in fact, correct in my diagnosis, and filling the required prescription, that is.
This time was a bit different. The doctor announced that what I'd passed off as ringworm was actually a really bad case of eczema. Eczema? I doubted. She is the only one of our children who has not inherited her mother's dry skin. So eczema? He explained the unlikelihood of ringworm, given the climate, the season and the fact that we don't own a pet so I reluctantly took her home and followed the prescribed treatment for two days until I could fake it no longer and started treating her for ringworm behind my doctor's back. I saw improvement almost immediately.
And so I draw the following conclusion (at the risk of sounding prideful, dear doctor): Doctor, for all your training, you have got nothing on mother's intuition. Sure, I'll still come to you to deliver my babies (whether you make it on time or not), I'll still pay you the big bucks to repair my broken bones and I'll still let you cut into my heart, if need be. I lay my life at your feet in such situations. But, excuse me if I'm getting a little tired of paying you 100 bucks for less than 10 minutes of your time when all I get is a diagnosis that either confirms what I already knew or is completely wrong. I realize it's not completely your fault; it's just getting really old.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
A frustration that many of us share and you articulate very well, Susie. But, what are we to do?!
You are so prideful. And why are you paying $100 for one lousy doctor visit? Micron must really be cutting back on benefits!
Am I gonna have to monitor my comments to avoid insults from my big brother? :)
Oh, and we don't pay $100. But that's how much the doctor's office takes in for a visit.
I was told by my doctor father and still follow the rule that you do not go to the doctor unless something persists. Most all doctors prescribe quickly and they miss many times. Save money and time if it is something small and you have strong spiritually confirmed mother's intuition (better than an RX in most cases). You have all perhaps heard me declare this in our family. Guess I just could not resist giving my normal unasked for father's counsel. Love Dad
Post a Comment